Creating Drivers for Asian Elephant Conservation
1. Asian Elephant Secretariat:
- Establish a regional Think Tank to drive the implementation of the major recommendations of Elephant Talk 15.
- To establish a resource/knowledge centre for elephants in order to preserve the rich legacy of elephants in culture and nature of the region
2. Transboundary Protection & Corridor Connectivity:
- Prepare a list of “high priority corridors” that need to be secured in the North Eastern Region of India & bordering states.
- Prepare an Action Plan to secure the corridors that connect the Kaziranga- Karbi Anglong Landscapes.
- Prepare an Action Plan for protection of Habitats and corridor connectivity along the Indo-Bhutan Elephant Range.
3. Human Elephant Conflict Resolution:
- Engage local community and other stakeholders to develop and implement a comprehensive protection plan to reduce elephant & human deaths.
- Prepare a Policy Paper for reforming Community Compensation Mechanisms and Systems
- Develop Educational & Awareness Tools for educating Local Communities on Incidence Management
4. Wildlife Protection Acts:
- Prepare a Position Paper on reforms that need to be introduced into the Wildlife Acts.
5. Captive Elephants:
- To promote the welfare of captive elephant and its management, establish a training centre for mahouts, and wildlife managers and veterinarians.
6. Generation Next:
- Involve Generation Next in already existing programmes and through innovative programmes.